Saturday, June 25, 2011

Who would have known???

***Warning this blog may get a little corny***

About eight years ago I was in my second semester of college and had just gotten hurt while on the crew team at Wichita State. I was told by my doctors that if I continued to row there was a chance that I would lose feeling in my right hand. Seeing as how I am right handed that could end up being a big deal! As much as I loved to row I had to end up quitting the team and with a ton of time on my hands. So I was looking for a way to stay envolved on campus. I had been hanging out with a few of my guy friends who were in a faturnity and they suggested I join a house too.



My mom and both her sisters were in a house when they were in college and I had always heard their stories and it sounded like fun. But I was really unsure about it. I had no idea what I was getting into or how it really could end up "changing" my life.



Which house to join was an easy decision for me. I only lookd at one, the Tri Delt house. Both my mom and Aunt were in the house so it felt right to be there, to continue on the tradition. I had a big pledge class but there was a group of us that just fell into hanging out together. And after eight years five of us are stll extremely close. I never knew when I joined the house that I would be getting friends that I would have the rest of my life!



These girls have really become a second family to me. We have gone through everything together, from break ups, to death of family memebers, to marriages to kids being born, to illnesses, my parent divorce and more. I remember the day that I found out my parents were getting divrced I call Kammie and headed to her apartment and the next thing I knew they all had dropped evertyhing to be there for me! So far that was the toughest thing I have ever gone through and there is no way I could have done it with your their love and support.



Over the last few year we have worked really hard to make sure we stay close. And that means the world to me! I honestly can't imagine my life in the future with out them. It's one of those things that I hope all our kids, well the ones I want to eventually have, are friends as they get older. Or as I consider to start dating I know that the guy I bring into the group will have to get along with the other husbands becuase we do spend a lot of time together.



When I joined the house I never expected to meet these girls, or for them to become such a big part of who I have become. It's funny in college I joined because I thought it would be fun, go to some parties, a few dances and meet some boys. While I did do all those things I walked away with some of the most amazing women as my friends, and I don't think that I could ask for more!



I have no idea what the future holds for me, where I will go, what I will end up doing, but I do know that these girls will be around for it all. It's a great and comforting feeling to know that they have my back no matter what!

No comments:

Post a Comment